Home > Welcome

Perth Hebrew Congregation

History of the PHC

The PHC was established over 110 years ago and is still as strong and dynamic a community as ever. The Shule was originally located in Brisbane Street, Northbridge. It moved to its current location in Menora in the 1970's.

"The Perth Hebrew Congregation Inc. (PHC) has exercised an overriding role in the history of Western Australia Jewry. The organisation was founded in 1892 when members of the small Jewish community of Perth inaugurated regular religious services. With the colony embarking upon unprecedented expansion due to rich gold discoveries the population of Perth increased rapidly. In the process the Perth Hebrew Congregation became the premier institution of WA Jewry and retained that position in the decades which followed. Today the PHC is the oldest and largest organisation of Western Australian Jewry and continues to flourish as the core institution of orthodox Judaism in the State."

From: "The Perth Hebrew Congregation 1892 - 2002" by Dr David Mossenson (Copies are available in the Bookshop)

Rabbis of the PHC:
Rabbi David Isaac Freedman (1897 - 1939)
Rabbi Louis Rubin-Zacks (1939 - 1964)
Rev Emanuel Fischer (1964 - 1967)
Rabbi Dr Shalom Coleman (1965 - 1985)
Rabbi Michael Orelowitz (1986 - 1987)
Rabbi David Freilich (1988 - Current)